Saturday, October 18, 2014

Made A Beautiful Painting: "Star Girl"

Painted a beautiful girl with ink and water color :)





This was actually inspired by my girlfriend (not really initially, but as I kept going with the project her long flowing hair and love of stars definitely showed up)

Sketched / doodled a girl on some scratch paper lying around... Thinking about the idea of being a "dream catcher" (a person catching dreams) I sketched a girl, likely inspired by Salvador Dalí (my favorite artist, a surrealist) and Cartoon Network's Adventure Time -- because I was watching the show as I sketched

Here's the sketch :)


The stars were dreams, which the girl was collecting in a sack -- I wanted the scene to feel dreamlike, so her long hair floats above her ethereally 

Originally wanted turtles floating around like clouds (on which the girl would be standing) but later decided it would be too distracting

Searched Google Images for anything resembling the sketch, and what I eventually wanted it to become

Example: I wanted the girl to be wearing a skirt, so I searched "cute girl skirt"

[ reference photos ]
Found a few matching images for what I envisioned the final draft to have (see next step)... And found some reference photos (see both above)

Edited photos together to make a (rough) version of the final draft... Merging what ended up being 4 images into 1 using Pixlr Editor (but SAVE OFTEN!! because sometimes Pixlr's page fails -- the price you pay to have near Adobe Photoshop quality program for free)

NOTE: If you ever do this, don't worry too much about how this part looks -- obviously you just need to get the basic idea out

* The composite image is now the reference photo for my painting


Traced the composite image by placing a piece of white printer paper on my computer monitor, turning up screen brightness to the max, and (very lightly) tracing the image I'd created

After I had traced 2 or 3 drafts -- added minor details based on my vision of the final draft (using my reference photos [see above] as inspiration ) 

Scanned the final inked drawing and edited out anything I didn't like (which wasn't much)

Printed multiple copies -- being one of my first water color paintings, I wasn't sure I would get the colors right, I wanted a few copies to practice on, and possibly like one so much I'd keep it




Painted the copies with water colors until I ended on a color scheme I liked -- which ended up being a blue and purple (a color I never changed was the star and bag, which was always yellow)




BONUS PROJECT!!

Edited the painting (using Pixlr Editor again) to create a simplified, black and white icon version

Deleted the background [see top image] using the painfully slow process of the polygon lasso tool :P Then applied the art poster filter and only had to fix a couple things that got too dark (mostly the star)

No comments:

Post a Comment