Thursday, September 18, 2014

"Turn On Your Bright Lights" (Song)

Wrote and recorded a song ("Turn On Your Bright Lights") and uploaded it to SoundCloud :)

Listen to it here!

 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Said "turn on your bright lights" to my girlfriend on an Idaho road-trip (instead of being normal and saying "turn on your brights")... I thought 'hey, those could totally be song lyrics!' so I pulled out my guitar and started playing some tunes I thought could go with the phrase

Inspired by a beautiful sun setting over black mountains (*the pic above is an untouched photo of it -- the mountains were the other direction), thoughts on how everything's just a big grey area, and moments from the road-trip, I began to write...

**It's weird, which moments (like just saying something a unique way) will sometimes create art... if you're open to it :)


Free-writing in a notebook I had on hand... After the first line "turn on your bright lights," I just kept writing whatever sounded good with the melody on the guitar.

Watching the gorgeous sunset, I quickly scribbled lines from the passenger seat before we arrived at the cabin we'd be staying.

Recorded on a friend's laptop (MacBook Pro) using Garageband... It took a while to re-familiarize myself with everything the program has to offer (which included watching an hr of YouTube vids explaining it all :P ) but I eventually figured it out

Played guitar and sang on the same track (as opposed to recording them separately), and only re-recorded one part that sounded a little off


Uploaded the song to SoundCloud (https://soundcloud.com/)... Signed up for an account with the usual: username, email, password, and etc.. After navigating a minute, I uploaded some songs I'd recorded (including Turn On Your Bright Lights)

The whole process was actually a lot easier than expected :)



Shared the track on Blogger (https://www.blogger.com/) by clicking Edit (looks like a pencil) below the track, the Share button, Permission tab, made sure 'Display Embed Code' was selected, copied and pasted the code into Blogger's post (after clicking HTML in the top left of the page)... I used SoundCloud's help article to figure it all out (http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/portal/articles/243751) but the steps were a breeze

Now I can share songs I record, and you can listen :) It's kind of exciting

No comments:

Post a Comment